Gerald T. Bowes
273 Klamath Road, Milpitas, Ca. 95035
Creating excellence by optimizing information processes,
management, and communication.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- MBA, University of Santa Clara, Santa Clara, Ca. 1989
- BS (Electrical Engineering), (Dean's List), Cornell University,
Ithaca, N. Y. 1978
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), 2007
Myers-Briggs ENTJ (a.k.a. "Field Marshall") with extensive training in
interpersonal communication. Natural public speaker.
Happiest with well defined goals and driven to clarify and
minimize ambiguity in tasks and projects.
Strategic and systems oriented yet
very detailed and closure focused. Strong on process, knowledge engineering,
and operational accountability and constant improvement.
Technical Support, Linux and Cloud Systems Administration,
Knowledge Engineering, Testing, Training,
Project Management, Test/Sysadmin Automation, Web Enabled Database
Application Design and Implementation (LAMP)
Perl DBI, DBD, PHP, HTML, Oracle/Sybase/MySQL SQL
Competent Toastmaster. Presentation, proposal, technical
training, and white paper authoring experience.
- Served as MKP-USAI-Group Council Vice-Chairman for non-profit Men's Organization.
- Managed 4 person sysadmin team onsite at Microsoft Silicon Valley client site.
- As TAOS/SGI liaison for the Customer Service Division Hot Response Center, managed team of 12 Taos Contractors for 6 Month customer support team to handle all customer issues regarding upgrade of Irix 4.X to 5.X.
- As senior system administrator, managed 2 sysadmin contractors in support
of 6 of the SGI product divisions as hands and feet of the
helpdesk for user support.
- As desktop support manager at PLX, managed one PC/NT support engineer.
- Product Marketing Management for technically sophisticated products:
Informix OnLine-Secure, a B2 level secure database and RelationalLisp,
a Lisp Based relational database.
- As submarine Naval Officer, managed team of up to 14 mechanical,
electrical, and electronic technicians and operators in all aspects of
equipment maintenance, operations, and quality assurance and certification.
Managed teams during at sea operations, routine refits, and extended
nuclear refueling overhaul. Responsible for overseeing personnel
training, development, and career advancement.
7/10 - Pres: Yahoo, Sunnyvale, CA
- Part of 3 year rewire project to consolidate 37 world wide colocation data centers into 10 Yahoo owned data centers
- Served in Cloud Computing to build, configure, and test new multi-PetaByte storage farms
and migrate all data and services into new data centers
- Provided on on-call troubleshooting and escalllation response for storage issues around Yahoo MOBstor global-distributed file system product
Web ApplicationDevelopment Coordinator
- Sysadmin and IT support for computer infrastructure for world wide organization
- Created and deployed central helpdesk and deployed several MediaWiki communication applications
- Enhanced legacy mysql and php based systems used to manage all community functions and communication
- Supported, configured, created functional modules for WordPress and Drupal application platforms
11/07 - 3/10: Taos, Santa Clara, CA
Senior Computer Systems Consultant
- Danger, Palo Alto, CA
- Provided sysadmin support for Fedora/FreeBSD/Solaris/CentOS Linux environment.
- Lead for migrating and decommissioning Phoenix data center.
- Jasper Wireless, Sunnyvale, CA
- Provided sysadmin support for Linux environment.
Managed Xen hosts, mrtg, nagios, splunk tools working closely
with Oracle DBA and network engineers to manage wireless DNS and
billing services for global device communication services.
- Apple SOC/VLSI Engineering, Cupertino, CA
- Provided sysadmin support, architecture change management, and
tier 3 helpdesk escalation for VLSI/SOC engineering support.
Managed 140TB of NetApp online disk storage.
Rearchitected storage to quota controlled environment for
Developed enterprise disk allocation and
monitoring/forecasting/analysis report tools.
Groomed of LDAP host schema and contents as well as host status
monitoring and sysadmin response and workflow/commnication tools.
- Redback Networks, San Jose, CA
- Assisted migration of infrastructure to Ericson
parent company standards
- General maintenance for Gentoo Linux netbooted environment
- Enhanced monitoring of NetApp filer status with web graphics display
- Upgraded and managed Nagios monitoring system for fleet of 5000 Linux compute farm.
5/07 - 11/07: Netcerto, Palo Alto, CA
Senior Computer Systems Consultant
Computer consultant for small to medium sized businesses, predominantly
in the fabless semiconductor industry.
- Setup startup companies with Windows domain controllers, NIS, DNS,
backups, NFS, email, Pix firewall, vpn/remote access, and
- Ongoing evaluation, installation, and configuration for LAMP based
open source business
and infrastructure applications such as RT request tracker, SugarCRM,
2/05 - 5/07: Vormetric, Santa Clara CA
Senior Support Engineer
- Provide 7/24 phone and online customer support. Support consistently
receives very high ratings in ongoing customer surveys.
- Designed and implemented internal support issue management system.
System used frequently by executive management for reporting and
6/01 - 11/04: Mindsource/Siemens onsite at Microsoft, Mountain View, CA
Unix Enterprise Support
- Working with 4 person team, managed Unix infrastructure for MSNTV,
Xbox Asic Development,
Network Operations and WebTV development teams. Managed 12 core
, 60 compute servers, 200 workstations, and 2.5TB of online disk
storage. Managed sendmail,
Veritas NetBackup, DNS, NFS, FlexLM, intranet Apache webservers, and
internet FTP server.
- Designed and implemented helpdesk, asset management, and online
applications based on Remedy ARS system with custom web front ends.
- Performed major infrastructure upgrades including backup systems,
Jumpstart and Kickstart
implementatoin, data storage consolidation,
user account automation, and security auditing and reporting.
1/01 - 5/01: Cisco Systems
(Internet Network Equipment Manufacturer)
Web Applications Developer
- Developed labs test equipment inventory, reservation,
configuration, and interconnect database
application for Remote Access Business Unit (RABU). System
enabling multiple engineering groups to
make most efficient use of equipment and provided availability
forecasting for engineering
management. Developed on Linux platform using Perl,
DBI/DBD on Postgres database, with plan to
port to Oracle production backend.
5/99 - 12/02: PLX Technology
, Sunnyvale, Ca. (PCI Interface Chips)
Sysadmin, Workflow Applications Developer
- Provided Solaris/Network Appliance engineering support for digital
design and simulation environment.
- Provided general sysadmin server and desktop support for
Linux, Solaris, and WinNT environment
including Raptor VPN, DNS, DHCP, Email, Network
Applications file server and network architecture
- Secondary PBX/Voicemail administrator for Lucent G3/Definity Audix.
- Created IT helpdesk, Technical Support Call Tracking System, and
Support Knowledgebase workflow
applications integrating Remedy ARS and perl CGI web interfaces. Created
Perl/DBI email front end to
customer service system, integrating with Sybase based corporate lead
Deployed customer accessible self-service knowledgebase query to external
website to provide 24x7
access and offload CS staff.
8/98 -4/99: Juniper Networks
, Mountain View, Ca. (Internet Routers)
- Upgraded external website to Stronghold webserver and configured
SSL in preparation for E-
commerce. Configured for secure SW distribution.
- Migrated intranet from FreeBSD to Solaris. Integrated Remedy ARS
and Apache webserver for IS
Helpdesk, Online HR, Employee directory and site maps, FAQ database and
automated external web
account access management.
4/95 - 6/98: Chromatic Research, Sunnyvale, Ca. (Multimedia Processors)
Senior Applications Developer, Webmaster
As system administrator, database applications developer, and
webmaster engineered and supported IS
infrastructure through company growth from 100 to over
350 employees, supporting 70 unix workstations
and servers and over 500 Win95 PC's. Managed call queue
of 20-30 calls a week as well as database
application development and maintenance.
- Architected and implement Helpdesk and company wide bug tracking
system, using Remedy ARS and
ArWeb front end.
- Evolved and architected corporate Intranet through 2 major
generations, configuring Netscape
Suitespot and LDAP servers as well as Apache. Integrated LDAP, Samba,
and NIS to support
sophisticated security model.
8/92 - 4/95: SGI, Mountain View, Ca. (Unix Workstation Manufacturer)
Senior System Administrator
Provided "hands and feet of the helpdesk" system administration support
for the SGI product divisions.
Provided all aspects of system management, setup, and application
configuration and consulting. Managed
two contractor sysadmins to cover users in 12 buildings over the SGI
Mountain View campus. Additionally
provided project development and consulting on several web and database
- Worked with Product Division IS team to setup development and
production environments for internal
website, including source code management and release software.
- Ported the internal sales support web site, Silicon Sales, onto a
production server. Setup configuration
control, statistics monitoring and graphical display, feedback database
with web interface, and random
"marque-like" image display on home page.
- Assumed technical DBA role and support for Scopus ProTeam application
for Global Business
Development Fastline, a worldwide field sales support call tracking
- Special project for manufacturing division overhauled and updated
web front end to quality issue
tracking database critical for passing ISO-9000 audit. Provide metric
reporting and report delivery
8/92 to 6/96: Taos Mountain Software, Mtn View, Ca. (Unix Consulting)
Silicon Graphics, 1/95 to 6/95
- Provided system administration for ESD, DSS, VSG, etc in SGI
Buildings 1,2,3,5,8. Supported Irix,
Frame, SoftWindows, Sybase, WingZ, Upgrades and hardware system
- Provided system administration for consultant group designing next
generation Oracle based financial
system. Supported Frame, SoftWindows, Oracle, WingZ, and network file
Software Testing and Customer Support Engineer
Quorum Software, Menlo Park 9/93 - 2/94
- Provided software application testing of Equal Application Adapter,
a MacIntosh emulator enabling
Microsoft Word and Excel o operate on HP, Sun, and SGI workstations.
- Tested Unix utilities of application and supporting
utilities. Focused on distributed network license
- Provided customer support for installation, licensing, and Unix
and MacIntosh media, network, and file
- Using Remedy ARS, co-authored customer support call management
system. Integrated Macintosh
FileMaker Pro sales and shipping database into the support system to
provide customer activity
feedback to sales and engineering. Prototyped integrated bug tracking
system but lack of corporate
funding prevented bug system implementation.
Unix Customer Support Engineer
Silicon Graphics, North American Field Operations HRC: 3/93 - 9/93,
2/94 - 11/94
- Provided frontline customer technical support to SGI's Hot Response
Center (HRC). Provided solutions
regarding product installation, trouble shooting, and repair of all
models of SGI equipment. Answered
questions in areas of Unix system administration, network configuration
and administration, hardware
troubleshooting, graphics issues, c and c++ development, WorkShop and
CaseVision case tools,
communications, and integration with third party peripherals and network
- Served as training, orientation, and operations supervisor for 12
person contractor team for installed
base migration from Irix version 4.X to 5.X. Provided backup for technical
and policy issue escalation.
Served as primary liason and logistics coordinator between SGI NAFO and
contracting agency, Taos.
- Worked with SGI Telecommunication, IS, and HRC center personnel in
conjunction with Remedy
consulting to prototype alternate real time support tool than current
Clarify system. Integrated
- Prospect Applications Bridge product for autodial and screen pop
synchronization with Aspect call
Data Base Consultant, Developer
Silicon Graphics, Business Development: 2/93 - 3/93
Worked with Fastline organization to define, design, productize and
deploy a sales call tracking and
management system based on the SGI Tracker product development
system. Implemented basic system
and added capability for automatic email call submission and customized
reports using Tracker dml
language and UNIX utilities and perl.
Taos In House Infrastructure: 8/92 - 2/93
- Provided analysis and database design for in house management of
clients and applicants for contract
consulting opportunities. Designed and implemented interim data management
utilities on centralized
DOS/Windows lan network.
- Designed second generation of FoxPro based applicant
management database and worked with
outside consultant in implementation and refinement. Evaluated ACT
and Telemagic products for use
by Taos. Assisted in recruiting duties to shake out
and refine requirements of system.
7/91 to 8/92: Unix Central, Sunnyvale Ca. (Unix SW Catalog Reseller)
Product Line Manger
Responsible for a third of the roughly 100 products in the Unix Central
catalog. Surveyed industry for good
success opportunities, completed technical and marketing evaluation of
candidates, managed vendor
negotiations, generated product positioning and catalog advertising copy,
and completed gathering of all
details needed for successful telemarketing/telesales
efforts. Additionally completed initial and new product
refresher training for group of 15 telemarketing/telesales reps.
MIS, Sales Application Engineer
Set up network of Sun4/280 server with NeWSprint, Cabletron 10BaseT
repeater hub and ethernet terminal
server (Oem Xyplex 1800), pc's using pcnfs, and HPIIIsi printer to enable
company to begin operations on
sales lead management X-terminal setup. Served as initial Sun Unix system
administrator, Informix database
administrator, and MIS manager for system consultants. As sales
applications engineer performed following:
- Wrote on-line product information access tools to provide efficient
access to comprehensive product
information by telemarketing salesforce.
- Generated several Informix ISQL applications and ACE reports to
facilitate better reporting of customer
tracking and shipping operations.
- Provide installation and configuration technical support for
customers during evaluation and loading of
sales applications. Refer prospects to third party sources for system
integration issues not provided as
part of catalog offering.
- Provide front line sales support for internal telemarketing/telesales
4/91 - 7/91: WYSE Advanced Systems (386/486 MPX Unix Systems)
Software QA Engineer
On Contract to Software QA department for testing of latest version of
Wyse Unix V.3.2.1A including port of
the Veritas volume manager product. Also starting pre-alpha testing of
Wyse version of Unix V.4.
7/90 - 1/91: Informix Software, Menlo Park, Ca. (Unix RDBMS products)
Secure DBMS Product Marketing Manager
Provided product definition and marketing plans and technical
certification proposal for OnLine/Secure, a
high performance multimedia OLTP DBMS designed to meet B1 level security
assurance defined by the
National Computer Security Center (NCSC) of the U.S. National Security
10/90 - 5/94: Golden Gate University, Los Altos, Ca. Branch Campus
Associate Professor/Instructor: Small Computers in Business
Teach computer business applications overview course for evening Bachelor
degree program. Teach hands
on orientation to applications of Lotus, WordPerfect, and dBase.
6/89 - 4/90: Minx Software, San Jose, Ca. (Unix MRP software)
Computer Systems Sales Engineer
Provided VAR relationships, hardware marketing strategies, Minx sales
tools, and all sales systems to
migrate Minx from a software to a turnkey solution vendor.
- Established and managed 5 VAR relationships with leading Unix HW
vendors. Generated and
supported sales of computer and peripheral hardware during Minx growth
from $750K to $2.4M in
- Set up and managed automated hardware configuration, comparison,
and quotation system for use by
Minx sales and order processing. System greatly expedited hardware sales.
8/87 - 4/89: Mad Intelligent Systems, San Jose, Ca. (Lisp/Unix based
distributed RDBMS and EIS
Program Manager, Database Integration Products
- Provided product marketing and sales support input to systems
marketing team to evaluate MAD product
line and overhaul company marketing strategy.
- Integrated 386 based workstation, Unix/X operating system, Lisp
based RDBMS, and client server
agents to Informix and Oracle RDBMS's into coherent "Smart Data System
(SDS)" product strategy.
- Developed SDS demo application to evaluate qualified sales leads
from multiple end user and var
databases residing on independent Informix, Oracle, and TransBase RDBMS's
on multiple 386, Sun,
and MicroVAX computer hosts.
Customer Support Engineer
- Provided sales and customer support for 386/Unix/X/Lisp EIS
workstation, including Lisp/X/C graphical
user interface (GUI) tools and EIS tool demos. Provided internal unix
system administration support as
well as field sales hardware and software support. Generated white papers
and trade show collateral.
Promoted to DBMS Program Manager.
- Generated product marketing plan for RelationalLisp, a lisp based
- Provided all systems logistics and support for 6 major trade shows,
including: AAAI (Seattle, St. Paul),
Uniforum (NYC), and CeBIT (Hanover, W. Germany) with no show down
time. Manned booth and
provided product technical and sales information.
- Generated and conducted training and product orientation for sales
force, SE's, customers, and internal
personnel for proprietary database integration products.
- Designed user oriented Unix/X presentation environment for 386 Unix
workstation. Design incorporated
in subsequent product release.
- Designed and implemented customer support electronic bulletin board.
5/78 - 9/83: Nuclear Submarine Officer, US Navy
- Served aboard fast attack submarine USS Permit (SSN-594) in roles
of DCA, Communicator, and Electrical Division Officer. Qualified in Submarines,
Officer of the Deck, and Engineer. Managed seawater and nuclear
systems quality assurance. Participated on two 6-month deployments and
shipyard nuclear refueling overhaul.
- Project Leadership and Communication, UC Berkeley Extension, 2004
- CCNA, Cisco Academy, Mission College 2004
- Veritas Netbackup 4.5 for Solaris, Mountain View, Ca. 2003
- Sybase Fasttrack ASE 11.9.2 DBA Training, Milpitas, Ca. 1999
- Oracle DBA Training, San Jose, Ca. 1998
- Microsoft Small Business Back Office Server Setup, San Jose, Ca. 1998
- Documentum Product Training, Pleasanton, Ca. 1997
- Lifetime Leadership, Applied Performance, San Jose, Ca. 1996
- C++ Programming, Mission College, Santa Clara, Ca. 1994
- C Programming, Mission College, Santa Clara, Ca. 1993
- FrameMaker 3.1, Frame Technology, San Jose, Ca. 1992
- Informix SQL, Informix Software, Menlo Park, Ca. 1990
- Informix 4GL, Informix Software, Menlo Park, Ca. 1990
- Teaching Intensive-Format Courses, Golden Gate University, 1990
- Yourdon Structured Analysis, Yourdon, Inc., 1989
- Unix System Administration, UC Berkeley Extension, 1987
- Kepnor-Tragoe Problem Solving, 1986